Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My life is Amazing....

Sunday morning before church my husband, oldest son, and I had an appointment with one of the counselors in the bishopric. (one of the leaders of the LDS faith) Our son was first. He was there for a 6 month youth interview. 

As my husband and I waited in the hallway for our turn, I began speculating with a friend as to why my hubby and I were being seen. The minutes passed quickly and I had a great time catching up with a good friend.

The door opened and out walked my cute kid with two thumbs up and a goofy grin on his face. 

My husband and I were next. We took our seats and I anxiously awaited to find out the reason for our meeting. 

This kind man started off with, "I've got to tell you that you have a wonderful son."

"Why thank you. I kind of like him," was my reply.

His tone became ever so slightly more serious. 

He then proceeded to tell us of their conversation. He told us how he usually starts of his youth interviews by asking, "How's life?"

 It's a simple question.

A question that usually gets the common teenage response of, "it's good, ok, the same, etc."

When my son was asked this question his reply was,

"My life is amazing."

Taken aback at my sons response, this gentleman asked my son why his life was so amazing.

My son's simple answer was,

"Because my family loves me."


Here it is days later and I haven't been able to get that conversation out of my mind. Having similar personalities my son and I butt heads A LOT, being 13 I'm sure adds to that. I often worry that my other two children will feel like they will get lost in the shuffle.

 Diabetes is like a needy child who demands constant attention. And sometimes diabetes requires that attention above and before everything else.

It was such great comfort to know that my oldest child knows how much we love him.

But again his answer stayed with me....

Diabetes is hard. Demanding. Defeating.

Sometimes it's easy to drown in the unendingness of it all. The highs. The lows. Site changes. Insulin doses. Carb ratios. Activity levels. Sleepless nights. Dr. appointments. The list could go on and on. 

But when I stop to think about it, I have this wonderful support system. Even though family might not understand every detail of our life with type 1. They are always there ready and willing to lend a helping hand, words of encouragement, or a shoulder to lean on. I am so blessed to be a part of such a loving family.

Life with diabetes is hard.

But my life?

My life is amazing, because my family LOVES me!


P.S. The reason for our meeting is that I was called to be a primary teacher in one of the 3/4 year old classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment